I couldn’t believe it as this is exactly what I am considering using for assignment 2 as well. I also love the 5E’s and I used this model previously in my Science subject EDX2260 Teaching Science for Understanding. In this assignment I summarised the 5E’s like this:
- Connections between past and present learning.
- Students become committed to the project.
- Observe the environment.
- Touch, feel and look at materials.
- Students can verbalise their understanding.
- Opportunity to introduce formal terms.
- Opportunity to investigate further.
- Students develop deeper understandings.
- Students can assess what they have learnt.
- Allows educators to check student understanding.
I regularly use this framework for lesson plans and find it to also be very successful in the classroom.